Monday, February 13, 2012

FLAX CRACKERS




I have been craving Flax Crackers since my lunch from Prana in Newton last week. The crackers with guacamole were the highlight of the meal. So... I decided to make my own. It's a simple process that is super healthy and will satiate the cravings for crunchy food (e.g. CHIPS). 

INGREDIENTS AND PROCESS



Ideally, I would have soaked the pumpkin and sunflower seeds overnight, however it is not necessary for flavor. Soaking destroys the enzyme inhibitors in RAW nuts, seeds, grains and dry beans which makes it easier for your body to absorb the nutrients and also makes the food more digestible. Fax Seeds and Chia Seeds only need to be soaked for an hour. Flax and chia expand in water so I doubled the amount of water. Do not RINSE! I used the entire bag of flax seeds, about 1/2 a cup each of pumpkin, sunflower and chia seeds. Exact measurements are not required. Soaked Flax seeds are the major binder. It becomes gelatinous and is the 'glue' for whatever other ingredients you desire to incorporate into the crackers. I added fresh thyme, lemon zest, a dash of olive oil, sea salt, ground cumin, fresh black pepper and cayenne pepper.


I mixed all of the ingredients together and then portioned out 2 cups of mixture onto teflex sheets. I used an offset spatula to lay out 'dough.'


I placed them in dehydrator at 115 degrees and then flipped the crackers off of the teflex sheet once the crackers dried out enough, (about 1 hour). They were in the dehydrator for 12 hours total. They should be completely dry and crunchy!


Crackers should be stored in an air tight container at room temp.

       HAPPY VALENTINES DAY HUGH!

3 comments:

  1. awesome!! I want some homemade flax crackers!!! make me some?
    I love the heart shaped chip you made Hughbear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want some too! Lindsay, tell me more about the benefits of chia seeds! Are the chia seeds in Synergy Kombucha rehydrated or is that what they look like in their original form?

    ReplyDelete
  3. check out this page http://www.rawreform.com/content/view/345/127/. basically chia seeds are a very energizing food... a complete protein containing omega 3's and fiber. Dry Chia seeds look like a plant seed. They enlarge and soften once they are submerged in liquid.

    ReplyDelete