Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Cobb Salad



 I made myself a protein rich salad for brunch. I had random RIPE produce in the fridge and needed to use it! I have recently been eating lots of beans in salads and stews (I finally got tired of lentils and needed to increase my variety). I've taken the convenience route and opted for canned beans. Eating home soaked then cooked dried beans are superior to canned beans because they have not been subjected to high heat in the canning process. However, I am still getting key nutrients from the canned goods. I like Eden's brand because they are organic and salt free. In my vegan Cobb salad I included: Organic Arugula, Organic Baby Kale (so good), Vine ripe Tomato, Avocado, Organic Radishes, Organic Red Onion, Organic fresh Dill, Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Flax seeds and Lemon Juice with Sea Salt and ground Cumin. 












I have been fighting a cold for a week now...sad since I am never sick. I decided to increase my intake of the immune enhancing mineral ZINC by eating Pumpkin Seeds. I ate the whole bag in one sitting. According to my trusty book Prescription for Nutritional Healing zinc deficiency can cause fingernails to develop white spots... the horror! I have a couple of white spots on my thumb nails which may explain why I have recently been craving zinc rich foods such as legumes and pumpkin seeds.







  
I haven't had coffee in over a month. I managed to avoid painful withdrawal symptoms by drinking my side kick cure all Kombucha. I now average 2 kombuchas a day instead of the crazy expensive 4. Also,  I am not a huge fan of the Botanic varieties because they are never effervescent but this one had the immune boosting herb Elderberry = smart choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment