Monday, March 26, 2012

The RAW truth....







This morning I was craving a sweet snack that I could eat quickly. I picked up some"RAW" macaroons. As I read the ingredient list I learned that 4 out of the 5 ingredients were not RAW... And although the cooking process takes place in a dehydrator "at low temperatures," the company does not state that the temperature is under 118 degrees. Although these snacks are much healthier than the mainstream macaroon, if you are a die-hard RAW foodist it is really important to read the ingredient list. You can't judge a product by its cover. There are no regulations for using the word "RAW" on food packaging, therefore is up to the consumer to be diligent... Readinbetweenthelines.



 

 Even though I was a bit miffed about the lack of integrity in the marketing of this brand, I still ate them ALL...don't judge. The macaroons were tasty and moist. There were about 6 bite sized treats in the bag for $4.99.




 HOWEVER, this past Saturday I found EMMY'S macaroons at a small health food store close to my parents' house...and they beat out Hail Merry's in flavor profile and RAW quality. Ingredients include: organic raw shredded coconut, organic raw agave nectar, organic raw cacao powder, non-gmo almond flour, organic raw coconut oil, fair trade vanilla flavor (alcohol-free), himalayan crystal salt. 5 out of the 7 ingredients are RAW...
 

source
Stay Tuned for my own version of truly RAW macaroons...

3 comments:

  1. OHMYGOSH Can't wait for you to make them!!! I'm all over it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And hey I've been referring to you and your blog a lot in papers and presentations here at Purdue! If there is any way I could help you over the summer please let me know! Anything to get involved in what you do would be awesome experience for me!

    Miss you and healthy eating so much!! Keep in touch!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello! so good to hear from you. how is school? Sorry i have not updated my blog recently! I will be better. Thank you so much! We should definitely discuss blog topics and recipes when you are on break... soon. miss you.

      Delete