Thursday, March 15, 2012

VEGGIES GALORE and SNACKS...


I went food shopping today for Dan's dinner.. I couldn't figure out what to make so I kept picking up various colorful veggies...not exactly a friendly wallet method... Ultimately I decided on a veggie marinara over whole wheat pasta, sauteed collard greens with butter beans and artichoke hearts topped with roasted roots veggies and dressed with olive oil, lemon juice and sea salt...I always make Dan large portions because that's how I eat but apparently he has a small stomach. (what's up with that chef?) 






FYI: I ate most of this dish... sorry Dan. I sauteed collard greens with olive oil, butter beans and chopped artichoke hearts. I finished it with lemon juice and topped it with roasted root veggies. Delicious!
 

I made the sauce with extra-virgin olive oil, leek, garlic, red onion, fresh thyme, red chili flakes, salt, button mushrooms, red bell pepper,  canned crushed tomatoes, fresh basil, lemon juice, and agave.

Last night Dan came home from a 16 hour shift and told me that he didn't eat anything all day except for tiramisu and a canolli. Where's the nutrition?! Ironically in the restaurant industry employees rarely eat...too much to do and too little time! He always opens the fridge at midnight looking for sustenance and too often there are only avocados and arugula so he reaches for the sugar loaded ice cream...
Today I picked up some healthier snack food items for his late night snack attack:


Organic Bananas, Hemp Chips with Organic Salsa, Clementines and Vegan trail mix!
 




Walnuts, Almonds, Cranberries, Raisins, Goji Berries,  Pumpkin Seeds and Golden berries!

 Hugh-man is visiting my mom and dad for a few days. He loves staying at the house and playing with his friends. I snapped some pictures before I dropped him off. He was licking his lips in anticipation for her home cooked meals...








No comments:

Post a Comment