Saturday, March 24, 2012

Delicious Ratatouille-ish


I had Thursday off so i spent a chunk of my free time food shopping. I visited Trader Joe's where I picked up mushrooms, asparagus, organic clementines, olives and a chocolate bar for my dad and black licorice for my mom, (Hugh's vacationing at their house so it's a mini offering).  I stopped at Shaw's on my way back home from visiting my mom and Hugh. I bought organic celery, organic carrots, 1 organic cucumber, organic arugula, zucchini, vine-ripe tomatoes, swiss chard, hummus for dan, green grapes, basil, red potatoes and brown rice spaghetti... This is the fullest the fridge has looked in awhile...very exciting! P.s. The stockpile of beer belongs to Dan.

It's restaurant week, which is really two weeks long... Dan has been working f.o.r.e.v.e.r. He has been trying to eat healthy throughout the day but it's not always easy when you are surrounded by tempting food and rarely have time to eat a meal during a work shift. He actually asked me to pick him up a multivitamin a few days ago...(I smiled when i received the text).

Thursday night I made my own version of ratatouille from ingredients I had on hand: Asparagus, zucchini, vine-ripe tomatoes, red potatoes, mushrooms, swiss chard, garlic and fresh basil. I was also adding some of the veggies on the cutting board to a salad (that's where the avocado ended up). I sauteed the garlic in oil until it browned and then added red potatoes, mushrooms, zucchini, asparagus, tomatoes, chard and basil. I seasoned the stew with sea salt, red chili flakes and a dash of apple cider vinegar.






Delicious! I was originally going to put it over the brown rice spaghetti, but we opted for just veggies... It was filling along with all the other snack food we had in the newly replenished fridge. I'm pretty sure i ate 8 clementines for dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment