Thursday, August 16, 2012

Millet, My Super Grain!



Dan surprised me last night with dinner. Again! He told me he was going to be at work late so I was terrified when I opened my door to lights and a manly "hello." He made it up to me when he told me "dinner is ready." Dinner is by far the largest meal of my day! (Due to my mid-shift schedule I skip lunch). Last night Dan told me, "no one believes me when I tell them how much you can eat." I love to eat and I can put it away when it comes to produce and whole grains. A huge bonus of eating healthy, gluten-free, vegan food is I can eat as much as my stomach desires. Shockingly after consuming this large plate of food I went back for seconds. Don't judge. I was satiated but not uncomfortably full.





Millet is a gluten free nutritional powerhouse and a versatile ingredient:
"Of all the true cereal grains, millet has the richest amino-acid protein profile and the highest iron content. Ir is very rich in phosphorus and the B vitamins. It is gluten free and due to its high alkaline ash content, the easiest grain to digest. USE: If millet is cooked with little liquid (1 cup millet to 2+1/4 cups liquid), it makes a light, dry, fluffy pilaf. Increase the liquid to 3 cups and it has a smooth texture like mashed potatoes or polenta." 
Woods, Rebecca. The New Whole Foods Encyclopedia

Dan cooked about 2 cups of millet and stirred in sauteed garlic, ginger and crimini mushrooms. He added a splash of brown rice vinegar. It was rich and flavorful. I proclaimed it could easily be a stuffing. He topped the millet with lightly sauteed fresh corn, summer squash and scallion. The side dish included arugula, hot house tomato, shaved red onion and avocado tossed with apple cider vinegar and flax seed oil. Before I dug in I added a drizzle of coconut oil to the corn and pilaf combo. Rich and decadent but not heavy!


2 comments:

  1. I need you guys to come teach me how to make this stuff. It all looks so good!!

    ReplyDelete