Saturday, December 31, 2011

NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION

My sad depleted fridge! I'll save you!

I do not remember the last time I made a New Year's Resolution but this year I have a list for Improved Wellness:

- DITCH THE COFFEE I started drinking it again this past month after not touching it for 3 years...Although I love the ritual of getting coffee in the morning during Hugh's walk, it pains me to think of the $14 a week that could instead be going towards a healthy drink like my beloved KOMBUCHA (4 bottles worth!)

- DRINK A TON OF WATER when I wake up with marks on my body from pajamas I know I am officially dehydrated... Water improves digestion, skin, reduces over-eating etc.

- REGULARLY ATTEND YOGA CLASS I just signed up for a "30 days for $30" program in my neighborhood. I went to my first class in years last night and I loved it. I talked myself out of going for so long because I've experienced the $14 classes that are more spiritual than exercise based and that was not  my thing. I need to break a sweat to feel like I've gotten my money's worth.

-EAT %100 RAW Right now I am probably eating an 80% raw diet. My weakness occurs at dinner when I've been relying on lentils and brown rice to fill me up. Although they are nutritious I always feel sluggish after eating cooked starches. I also have a harder time waking up in the morning... sorry Hugh. Eating 100% RAW not only improves my energy level but also my MOOD which is very important...

-CLEANSE... MY favorite blogger Kristen Suzanne just posted her NEW YEAR RESOLUTIONS which includes a 90 day RAW challenge. Check out kristensraw.com/blog/. I am all about challenging myself and I definitely want to incorporate more creative RAW recipes into the blog. Not only am I going to focus on cleansing my body but also my studio apartment. Over the past couple of weeks I went through my closet and got rid of 3 large trash bags full of clothes I have not worn in YEARS. Dan would argue that I could get rid of everything since all I wear are corduroys, yoga pants and some random old t-shirts. This MAY be true, but I do need some nice clothes for the rare "special Occasion"... I brought my collection of jeans (10 pairs of various sizes) and some nice sweaters and tops (some with the price tag still on) to the consignment store. I really can't stomach the thought of how much money I spent on these clothes over the years but I will atleast get a small percentage of money back if they actually sell.... the other stuff is going to the SALVATION ARMY... Living in a studio apartment with a boyfriend and a 40 lb dog requires only living with items of necessity. I hate clutter and I need a clean apartment at all times. If you are planning to detox your body the first step is to detox your environment. You will be more calm and more focused. This entails ridding your fridge and cabinets of trigger food (unhealthy items that will derail you from your ultimate goal).

AND Dan got me the perfect Christmas gift to facilitate the success of this challenge...

Excalibur dehydrator
A 9-tray Excalibur dehydrator. I plan on making RAW food (mushroom burgers, kale chips and granola) that will satiate my desire in the Winter for warm filling dishes!

Lastly, over the years I've realized that a helpful way to deter yourself from "falling off the wagon" is to keep a list of Goals in plain sight... (on the fridge, in a coat pocket, on the door). And also setting a time frame. 90 days may sound extreme BUT start off with 5 days and DO IT 100%. I am your sure the improvements you experience will only encourage you to continue on and you will eventually view it as a new lifestyle rather than a "Challenge."

Happy New Year Hugh!
                                                        GOOD LUCK!

No comments:

Post a Comment